Thursday, September 8, 2011

Goodie Swap, Take 1

A few weeks ago I joined a swap being hosted by Cindy of Fluffy Sheep Quilting. She called it a Goodie Swap, and we were given the names of two others and are to make them a mug rug and another "goodie" of our choosing. There are around 60-something ladies in this swap from all over the globe and whose talents and experience range from super-creative swapping pro to...well...me.  I've never joined any other swaps before and really, have hardly sewn anything for anyone other than my family. 

After looking through the photo pool of what others were creating, and getting completely intimidated, I decided that this time I must have a plan before I just randomly start sewing things together or it would surely be crap. So I took my trusty sketchbook with me on vacation and proceeded to completely ignore it for 6 days. Finally on the drive home I opened it up and started doodling ideas. Nothing looked that interesting and I am really just not good at the planning aspect. I tend to just start a project and roll with it. So that is what I did.


Here is the first mug rug I made. My partner has loads of things she likes, so I found myself obsessing over what to make. Completely stalking her Flickr and blog, agonizing over all the cool stuff she had chosen as favorites. Finally I just decided that there was no way I could compare to that stuff and I should just suck it up and get moving. So this is what I came up with. I have to say I am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't be disappointed if it showed up in my mailbox, so I decided it would be good enough to send. Here's the back:
Now, onto that other "goodie" we are to send. I actually started this one as something else, but it started getting too big, so I made it into a pouch.

It is roughly 8" by 8". I did try the zipper tab things again on this one because I just think they make the pouch look a bit more professional and I need all the help I can get in that area. 

Not bad, but I think with a couple more tries I can get them even better. I'm not really a fan of the color of zipper that I used for this, but couldn't find one that I liked, so light green it is. 
I think I may make one more little thing to put inside the pouch before I send it on its way. 
Now to agonize over my second partner....

 Time to see what other fabulous modern creations are being made and displayed at {Sew} Modern Monday. Thanks, Megan!

 And super-excited about Mini Quilt Mondays at Fresh Lemons Quilts. Thanks, Faith!

16 comments:

  1. These came out GREAT! your partner is going to love them!! The quilting is fantastic, it gives it personality! -- believe me, i'm right there with you about the completely intimidated part, I'm totally not wanting to send my first mug rug and definitely considering redoing it haha -- just gotta remember, its not a competition, its just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same intimidation problem. I finally stopped looking or I was going to freak out. I really like the mug rug and the pouch. I am sure your partner will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Stephanie is with the previous Stephanie - it's SO easy to get intimidated by the more experienced people in bloggy land! I daresay, however, that your swap partner will be very excited to receive your items. They're gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finishing my first swap, and I agree! It's nerve-wracking. But this is great! I love the colors and the quilting on your mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, your projects look great! I love your mug rug - great quilting! I haven't been brave enough to make a zip pouch yet, so am very impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are completely potty - these are gorgeous! Lucky partner I say!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the coloured solids with the grey, and I wouldn't fret too much about what you make, people want you to put yourself into it as much as giving you ideas of what they like. It's often as much about the colours or a particular pattern on something as it is the entire piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great to me. Who wouldn't be thrilled to receive these in their mail box?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's supposed to be fun, not agony! ;-)

    I wouldn't mind if that mug rug turned up in my letter box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors in the mug rug! Solid fabric is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooo! So cute! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the mini! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I hope I`m your 1st partner! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't be disappointed if those showed up in my mailbox!! They're both lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your mug rug! i am a sucker for grey with brights!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! Your partner is going to be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete