Sunday, August 11, 2013

Les Amis are Swell


Les Amis on rail 

Earlier this spring I bought a fat-eighth bundle of Les Amis by Patty Sloniger from Amanda's wonderful shop Westwood Acres. I was so, so excited to cut into it that I didn't spend enough time planning what I was actually putting together and very nearly created something horrible. After sitting in one of my WIP bins for a couple of months, I finally got the blocks out and introduced them to my seam ripper. After removing the offensive yellow the blocks went back in the bin until I was sure of my next move. I knew that I wanted to use both colorways of this fun line together, but was having a hard time envisioning how to make that happen. Then came my copy of Camille Roskelley's latest book, Simply Retro. I knew that her Swell pattern would be the first one that I made and it didn't take long for me to decide that mixing my Les Amis with Kona Snow was the way to go.

Les Amis, back

The blocks came together very quickly thanks to chain-piecing and in no time I had this little top complete. For the backing, I just sewed together several of my scraps into a large patchwork block and added Kona Ash and Kona Coal to bring it up to size. I had such a hard time choosing the binding fabric for this one! I thought that a scrappy binding would be fun, but all of my scraps were about 6" and there was no way that I was going to piece all of those together, so Kona Celery was the winner.
Untitled

I took this little quilt with me to my parents' house last month and this was actually the first one that I quilted on my mom's longarm. This loopy, swirly pattern is by far the one that comes most naturally to me so I thought that would be a good one to start with. I think the swirls add to the playfulness of all the little creatures in the quilt.

Les Amis on deck

And since this was another quilt made just because I wanted to, it is now listed in my shop. That's right, people, I actually did it! Not too much listed yet, but since I don't see this sewing-thing slowing down any I thought it might be good to at least have an excuse for all my making!

18 comments:

  1. It's very pretty with the white. Good for you on the quilting. I've quilted a couple on a long arm and did loopy things too : ) So much easier than stuffing it through a small machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Gorgeous fabric and the loopy, swirly quilting is so fun! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so much better! I hate seam ripping, but you feel better after doing it, don't ya? Good job ob the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have two Les Amis baby quilts I've been working on (ie procrastinating on) for months! If I had seen this pattern I think I may have copied you...so cute! Adore the quilting, good for you for trying the long arm, I am too freaked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling little quilt - great save! And congrats on your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really lovely, a nice pattern for those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks perfect! The pattern is just great with the prints and i love the loopy quilting. Seam ripping is the pits but so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly bravo on going Etsy!
    Laughed so hard when I just re-read my comment on the horrible layout! The quilt looks beautiful though - fantastic save!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its so cute! And way to go on opening the shop! Good for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great Toni. And your pieced back isn't too shabby either. ;) Love the quilting and the texture that is gives the washed quilt. I wish you all the best with the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore this quilt! It could not be more perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Love this fabric line, and this is a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a beautiful quilt - really love those cute fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pattern. It's turned out a very pretty quilt. Well done on taking the dive into Etsy! Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you did a great job rescuing your old blocks! Yay for taking the old ones apart and making this super cute quilt! I think I might be making my own horrible quilt, but I'm going to just give it away instead of bothering to fix it. :>

    ReplyDelete
  16. I´m thinking of winging this quilt, using exactly the same fabrics (which I coincidentally just got in the mail today). How many fat eighths did you need for the top? (if you remember!) At 26 in the bundle minus 2 browns, was it 24, or fewer? I´m overseas so we get different cuts and bundles and trying to reproduce is a bit of a brain workout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Sorry to have to reply to you here, but you are what they call a "no-reply" commenter, so your email doesn't show up when your comment is sent to me. I did not use the two browns, the grey woodgrain, or the white woodgrain, so I believe that makes it 22 fat-eighths in the quilt, with a good bit left over. Good luck!

      Delete