Sunday, January 6, 2013

January Bee Blocks

Roger has been at work all weekend, so I have had quite a bit of time to neglect my domestic duties and just sew, sew, sew! Besides getting three quilts basted, I cranked out some bee blocks...

First two bee blocks of 2013
Up first are this month's dGS blocks which were seriously so quick to sew up. Andy wrote a great tutorial for these "Whirled" blocks and asked for them in white, greys, and black. I really want to make a quilt of these blocks in all different shades of green and call it "Whirled Peas". Get it?

And another.

This block was for Nicole in our Stash Bee. I actually made two of the blocks, but they look basically the same, so you only get one picture. She chose the "Birds in the Air" block and requested colors that  reflect the Caribbean Sea. You can find the block tutorial on her blog Mama Love Quilts. 

Last one.
January is my month in Always Bee Learning. I chose a Herringbone block using Holly's tutorial, and sent everyone some strips of Chicopee. Since this block creates quite a bit of waste, I also asked that my mates use the scraps and make a small improv block that I will use on the back. I am really excited about putting this quilt together! 

January~Sugar Block Club
And finally, January's block, Snow Blossoms, from the Sugar Block Club. Didn't Amy have such a great idea when she put this club together? Each month you get a block pattern and a sweet recipe to go with it. My two favorite things together at last! You can sign up for the club any time and still receive all the patterns and recipes that were previously shared. Amy does a very thorough job explaining each step of the process, just as she did in last year's Craftsy Block of the Month

I'm also planning on doing Elizabeth's Lucky Stars BOM, but as my printer is currently on strike, that one will have to wait a bit. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since I have no idea what I want to use to make those beautiful stars. 

Honestly, I am not usually a big fan of sampler quilts, but for some reason this year block-of-the-month projects are really appealing to me. I like the sense of accomplishment that comes with completing my month's block and I have a feeling that I will still be able to make them into a quilt that I love. And if not, I'm sure I'll be able to find a good home for it! 

Are you participating in any Block of the Months this year? 

12 comments:

  1. Great blocks Toni! You must have very well behaved children to get so much done while your husband is away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great blocks there Toni! I couldn't quite figure out how Roger working gave you time to sew when you have children all around you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea "Whirled Peas"! It made me giggle. It would be cute! (of course green is my favorite color!) Good for you for being able to get so much done! I have been wanting to sign up for Amy's Sugar Block club. Instead I am going to do the new Craftsy one from this year. I think I might rather do Amy's though. I just look forward when I can sit in front of my machine again and sew, sew, sew, I'm a bit jealous!:) I have to wait until we move though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been so productive! I still haven't touched my machine since before Christmas. I'm going to try to do something tonight!
    I'm doing the lucky stars too! I'm really kind of stuck on fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Toni, no I'm not participating in any block of month this year, but only coz I really wanna finish up some projects from last year. I'm a prolific topper, but need to get them quilted and bound to call them finished! I really like the blogger girls block of the month that has just started, designed by Monique atOpen Gate Quilts. It's free too. I also really like Bonnie Hunters Easy Street quilt which was a free sew along in her blog late last year. I've printed off all the instructions, but wanna do it in a red white and blue colour scheme. Your bee blocks look great! You keep busy just keeping up with all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blocks, as always. :)

    I hadn't heard of the Sugar Block Club before but I just joined up. Love the colors in your block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks all look great! I spent all day yesterday working on mind as well. So far I've signed up for: Lucky Stars BOM, Sugar Club BOM, And Sew On BOM, OKC Modern Quilt Guild BOM, and the Frosted Pumpkin Woodland Sampler (monthly cross stitch). I'm debating whether to try the Crafty BOM and Fat Quarter Shop BOMs. I think I may have overextended myself just a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I am just itching to do my bee blocks - hopefully this weekend! I have also joined Lucky Stars + the Woodland Sampler, which isn't quilting, but a monthly club. I am also interested in the monthly scrappy project I'm a Ginger Monkey mentioned on IQ...if it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I never had the desire to do a BOM til recently I signed up for one at my LQS. I'll be blogging about it soon since I'm almost done with my
    Jan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woohoo, go you! Loads of fun blocks there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look fabulous!! You are tempting me with the Sugar Block Club block...for reals...awesome!

    ReplyDelete