Monday, November 4, 2013

Jersey Stars

This post brought to you by the end of Daylight Savings Time.
 Seriously, I think there is something in the air this time of year that makes my normally early-rising kids get up even earlier! Forget that "extra" hour of sleep they were supposed to get this weekend, 4am is apparently when all the cool kids wake up! 

Anyway, onto the quilt...


A couple of months ago, a friend from college contacted me about a friend of hers who was looking for a quilt for her young daughter. Their family breeds Jersey cattle and the little girl loves cows and horses, so the mother was looking for a Jersey cow/horse quilt.  I was excited to help, but also a little nervous about finding any fabric with Jersey cows on it. Most of the cows that are on fabric are Holsteins, you know, the black and white spotted ones? Luckily, I was able to find an eBay seller that seems to specialize in various animal breeds printed on Kona cotton squares and she had Jerseys.

After we agreed on the Jersey fabric, I encouraged my new friend Bec to look at my Pinterest board for inspiration as to the design and color scheme she wanted for her daughter's quilt. She picked out two very pretty quilts, this one for the pattern and this one for the colors.



Many of the prints in the quilt are from the Ladies Stitching Club line by Liesl Gibson. The line came out in 2012, but I was able to find quite a few of the prints at Burgundy Buttons. After they arrived, I found some coordinating prints in my stash and got to work. Bec also picked out a cute horse print by Michael Miller to use on the back of the quilt.


I kept the quilting simple with lines 1/4" from the seams. I really like the colors in this striped print that I used for the binding! The quilt measures 60"x75", a great size for its intended use.

I love the challenge of  a custom quilt order, and am so pleased with how this one turned out! I can't wait to see pictures of little Matilda opening it at Christmas!

12 comments:

  1. Good grief! Over here too! What the...I'm keeping track and planning on repaying all these early mornings when mine is a teenager, heehee. This turned out so lovely! Great work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it!! Now it's on my list to make one! I love your fabric picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you would be searching for the right kind of cow, it figures. I love the quilt, I am sure she will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a difficult challenge but it looks great. Finding good looking cow fabric would have freaked me out but I think you managed and logve the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out really nice and I love the palette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! You really turned that Jersey cow fabric into something adorable. I'm sure the little girl will love it!

    And don't get me started on the time change. Oof! All of these "gain an hour of sleep" people obviously don't have human alarm clocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how this turned out! Well done for hunting down those cows, it certainly doesn't look like a farm influenced quilt from a distance :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bow to your superior cattle knowledge!
    Lovely quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fact that I knew the difference in the cows just made me REALLY happy.. haha I guess I listen when my sister talks ;)
    Any chance you could share the woman who prints these? I'd love to have some for a future quilt for my sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Can not believe you pulled off a very girly and lovely "cow" themed quilt. Amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Toni i LOVE this! The 9-patch blocks alternating with the stars is really great. I don't tend to think that way, combining blocks, and it really really works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for your custom quilt! It came out wonderfully! It's so funny that there's someone who specializes in printing animals on fabric for people. :D

    ReplyDelete