Monday, July 30, 2012

Some Recent Hits

So, my original title for this post was going to be Recipe Dump, but that really doesn't sound too appealing, does it? 

I have had the best of intentions about sharing some of these recipes in real posts of their own, you know, with pictures and everything, linking up to Tuesdays at the Table, but that hasn't happened, has it? I'm sure the 5 commas in that last sentence is some kind of grammatical nightmare but I don't care. So in simplified form, here are some recipes we've enjoyed lately, with minimal commentary...

 Crockpot Beef and Broccoli over Brown Rice: I actually used minute steak instead of the boneless chuck roast the recipe calls for, mostly because we seem to have a lot of it in the freezer and I'm always looking for ways to use it. I'm pleased to say it turned out great. And you can't beat Alton Brown's technique for brown rice. Perfect every time!

Easiest Homemade Caramel Sauce: I was making Debbie's Toffee Crunch Poke Cake for a cookout when I realized I didn't have nearly as much caramel sauce as I thought, so Google to the rescue! This recipe is dangerously easy!

Creamy Lime Cilantro Ranch Dressing: I use this recipe instead of the ranch dressing packet, and the first time I made the dressing I forgot to add the green salsa and really couldn't tell a huge difference. Everyone loved it! 


Blueberry Cobbler: Do you ever read recipe reviews where someone says, "I followed the recipe exactly, except..." and lists off about 15 changes? I hate that, especially when they give it a negative review. So I'm here to tell you that I really didn't follow this recipe, but I'm sure it's a good one. I used a mixture of blueberries and cherries, left out the lemon since I didn't have any, and used oil and soy milk to make it dairy-free so Max could eat it. 

Chinese Coleslaw: Another great recipe from Brown-Eyed Baker. I can eat way too much of this salad!

Noodle Head's Chipper Bars: Anna is a sewing genius and apparently she knows her way around the kitchen, too. She posted this recipe a few years ago and I've used it many times. Most often when my husband tells me at 2:00 that he needs a dessert to take to work at 5:00. Very easy and delicious! 

So there you go. I actually had a few more to add, but it looks like my blogging time is over for the day. I finished my Christmas Sparkle pillow, so hopefully I'll have some pictures for you tomorrow! 

5 comments:

  1. I'm coming over to yours for dinner, those all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni,

    The recipes look great! I like it that you combine great food with quilting.

    Have a great night!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! You have really been making some awesome-sounding recipes! I can't wait to try out that salad dressing! And I sure hope you are going to link this post up to T@tT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rice recipe is exactly what I have done for years. I got it from an old Paul Prudhome cookbook. It is really good if you add some chopped veggies and use beef or chicken broth in place of the water. Kind of a pilaf without the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just reading a thread where people were being so mean to the recipe author because her recipe wasn't healthy. Can't people just move along when they don't like something? Thanks for the links! I'm always looking for new ideas for my fam.

    ReplyDelete