Friday, January 17, 2014

Jill's Briar Rose Quilt

A few months ago I started another quilt for Jill. 
Well, when I started it I actually didn't have a plan for it. I just didn't like seeing my pretty stack of Briar Rose (and coordinating solids) from Amanda's shop just sitting on my shelf. I'm not a hoarder.

Jill's Briar Rose quilt 

 It didn't take me long to decide that some kind of square-in-square block was what I wanted to use, and since I had just made some Lemon Squares blocks for a bee-mate I went ahead and used a slightly modified version of that pattern for Jill's quilt.


I actually bought this pink Minkee when I was pregnant with Jill with the intention of making her something with it before she was born. Obviously that didn't happen, but at the same time I also bought that pretty yellow gingham I used for the binding. I did get a crib sheet made out of it before Jill was born so I wasn't a total slacker. I think the gingham looks perfect here with the sweet Briar Rose prints. 


This is another quilt that I quilted on my mom's longarm while there for Thanksgiving. I'm actually really happy with my quilting on this one, except for the way that darn Minkee was pulled through with the stitches. I use a Microtex needle on my home machine when I quilt with Minkee and rarely have that issue. I used the thinnest needle mom had but it wasn't enough I guess. It really doesn't bother me that much, and I'm hoping that maybe after it goes through the wash it will settle back in a bit. 

The quilt finishes at roughly 48" square. A good size for Jill to use in her crib and for the next couple years. I did use a layer of white flannel as batting in this one so it will definitely keep my sweet girl warm!

14 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Great pattern for that lovely fabric and the quilting looks amazing! I've never used flannel as batting before, must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love it, so girly and that minkee looks so cozy! I like the design you chose for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, you 'inspiring quilter' you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cray cray adorbs. I bet j will love this for many years! Someone mentioned on IG that she was having trouble with the minky pulling through, and it was much better when she quilted it upside down (so minky side up). I had some of that on mine. It doesn't really bother me either, but I might try it the other way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how it shows off the fabric, and I bet it's super snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very cute. Minky is so snugly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect pattern for the Briar Rose prints! And i love the quilting pattern, so pretty and girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect match of fabric and block pattern - just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet, and nice quilting job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful job! Thanks for the tip on the Microtex needles with minky. I still have two quilts to finish with minky backs, so I am definitely taking note of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous! What a great way to showcase that beautiful fabric. Pink and green is a classic for girls. I made Amelia's big girl bed quilt in those colours about 7 years ago now. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute!!! I do love the gingham binding. I am gingham girl from way back!! I love the quilting and figure with minky anything goes so if a little comes through to the front, well it'll just make the front softer and more awesome too. :)

    ReplyDelete