Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Coolest Bib Around

One of the many things that I love about Pinterest is that of all the ideas and recipes I pin there, I find that I actually use them, not just pitch them into a folder on my computer never to see them again. Maybe it is the pictures that help keep my interest, or the easy organization, but I have actually tried quite a few of the recipes I have pinned, and have even found time for a little sewing lately.


I started my youngest son on real food about a month ago. Somehow, I had forgotten how messy it was! We have been going through several outfits a day, and I don't like laundry! At home, I really don't mind just taking his shirt off to keep it clean while he eats, but when we go out I think that might be a little tacky. All of my boys have hated wearing bibs and have been very efficient at yanking them off as soon as I get them on, but I think I have found a solution.  I found this "Bapron" tutorial from Craftiness is not Optional on Pinterest the other day and got a little crazy making them. They are so cute! And it doesn't take any time to sew a few of them up. I just used store-bought bias tape because I am lazy, but if I were making these as a gift I would definitely make my own since it would be so much cuter.





The pattern is very easy to follow. The only change I made was to add about another 1/2 inch or more on all sides. I made the first one the same size as the pattern and it was a little snug on my chunky baby. On one of the bibs,  I was a little short on bias tape, so instead of making the neckline go all the way up and tie, I just covered the neckline of the fabric. If he is really fussing with it, he can get this one off now, but it stayed on really well the first few times. It kinda looks like an art smock, so maybe I can just scale up the pattern and try that for the older boys.

I actually tried making one with some of the iron-on vinyl so that it would clean a little easier, but I forgot that you are supposed to hand wash anything you make with that stuff. Around here, nothing gets hand washed so it got thrown in the washer and when I found it amongst the other clothes I was moving over to the dryer I noticed the vinyl had completely come away from the fabric. It's not really a big deal because it is still held in place by the bias tape, but it makes it even more crinkly and I just never really use it. The other ones are just so much cuter.

Of course we have to have a few action shots:

No comments:

Post a Comment